Karol Speaks Up

Welcome to my special internet place, where I like to express myself and talk about my opinions and feelings. ACCEPT ME... for what I am. No... you need not agree with me; but Accept Me. For I am total in being. I have my faults, I have my guilts; but that is who I am. Perfect I will never be. Allow me to be uninhibited. Do not pressure me into feeling what I do not feel. Do not put me down... nor make me unhappy about me. I am I. And I like being what I am... ME. (Larry Chengges)

Thursday, June 09, 2011

The Path to Good Health...

So what has happened since I wrote my last blog entry (November 7, 2010)? I had a very busy school year, but with the excitement of work and all the busyness, I haven't had too much time to dwell on my "health issues." Truthfully, I cannot complain at all. I'm very thankful that I have a very good job and that I work with some great colleagues. I also have a great family - my husband and daughters are my most precious treasures. My students also inspire me and fill me with energy - they're very enthusiastic and loving (a pleasure to teach!) and I enjoy teaching them and trying to inspire them as best as I can. They also make me laugh a lot, which is truly a great thing, since laughter heals...

My back is pretty good now... my lower back doesn't hurt much anymore! My body is achy at times, and my feet still give me some problems (especially my right one), but I'm optimistic and confident that if I lose some weight (my goal: about 20 pounds) and continue avoiding caffeine and eating healthy, I will feel a lot better. My feet are actually small for my height (size 9 for a 5'10" frame - I should be about a size 10 or more); and as I have gained some weight these past 5 or so years, due to my slower metabolism and hormonal issues, the arches on my feet have started to collapse (according to my foot doctor) - this is why I went from a size 8 1/2 to a size 9 in shoes in the past few years. Also, joint pain is common when you are having these hormonal problems. Luckily I decided to take Tai Chi lessons a couple of months ago; and since then a new sense of empowerment and optimism has filled my spirit. I've joined Golden Breath Tai Chi in Philadelphia, and I know that this discipline with gentle exercises (and emphasis on "breath") will help me and make a difference in my life (check: www.goldenbreath.com). The important thing, no matter what, is to stay positive and hopeful, and to continue with optimism, enthusiasm and passion to achieve whichever goals and dreams you set your mind to accomplish. If you embrace an attitude of "doom and gloom" (a negative attitude) - you're doomed. Your energy is drained out of you and depression and disease can set in. You have to learn to be strong and to pay attention to your thoughts! I don't get tired of stressing how important our minds are...

I've learned 20 movements to date and I'm very excited about it. I know that I have to improve them; but with practice, perseverance and my commitment to get better and better, I think I'll do all right (more than all right - GREAT!)

Yes, life goes on - but it's up to us to make the best out of it, don't you think? It's really our responsibility to live our best life and create beauty wherever we go. I hope you are also committed to making the best out of your life as well. In good times and in tough times, we learn many lessons; and a bad situation can improve considerably if we remain positive and optimistic, and if we learn to love ourselves, just the way we are - with our weaknesses and our strengths. Don't ever forget that!

Peace and love always...

"When you know better, you do better." ~ Maya Angelou
"Unless you love, your life will flash by." ~ Mrs. O'Brien (character in "The Tree of Life" movie by Terrence Malick, actress played by Jessica Chastain).

Update (November 6, 2012): I'm still taking Tai Chi lessons, and love it! I'm on move No. 49. My feet feel great and I walk a lot, as long as I wear good sneakers! I continue being positive and reading positive and inspirational things (these are my fuel!) I feel great! I love my family! I love my job! I love my students!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home