Karol Speaks Up

Welcome to my special internet place, where I like to express myself and talk about my opinions and feelings. ACCEPT ME... for what I am. No... you need not agree with me; but Accept Me. For I am total in being. I have my faults, I have my guilts; but that is who I am. Perfect I will never be. Allow me to be uninhibited. Do not pressure me into feeling what I do not feel. Do not put me down... nor make me unhappy about me. I am I. And I like being what I am... ME. (Larry Chengges)

Monday, January 21, 2008

"Cursing"

Today, my daughters and I were flipping channels to decide what to watch on TV and saw something interesting in the Maury Povich Show (people that have survived amazing things or performed unexplainable feats). We couldn't watch it for too long - the audience was out of control, cursing so much, that you didn't know what Mr. Povich was saying since they had to blip long sections of the program due to excessive cursing. My oldest daughter said to me: "Mom, that's because the audience is full of ignorant people..." I guess she's right. The truth is that these shows are really disgusting. The content of the shows, in my opinion, is very inappropriate for most audiences. The messages are negative and the program portrays people in dire situations, mostly due to lack of character, integrity and education. The programs really don't teach anything uplifting or positive.

This brings me to the title of my blog: "Cursing". I always hated profanity, cursing and any form of offensive language. To me, this kind of language just communicates ignorance and lack of moral values. It violates people's right to live in a decent and positive society. Someone may say: "Karol, relax. Everyone uses curses once in a while." That is true to a certain extent. We all make mistakes here and there (or get into the bad habit of saying a few "curse words" like the "S" word). But when every sentence in a conversation has a curse word; when every time you get upset you have to use profanity; that tells me that you're just covering up your lack of an extensive and proper vocabulary, good speaking skills and good command of the English Language. It sounds terrible and it's demeaning to others. We're supposed to be considerate and compassionate, and to care for our fellow human beings. Cursing will always be disrespectful; it offends people in general and should be eliminated from our conversation, no matter how upset we may be. It upsets me to hear so many young people using this kind of language. In many ways it's like saying: "I don't care about you, what you think and how you feel, I only care about myself, and whether you like it or not I will always say whatever I please - the heck with you!" That to me is rude and inconsiderate!

The excessive use of "cursing" is truly despicable - in movies, in TV shows and everywhere. It's like assuming that all of us speak that way. Let's try our best to be more considerate and stop all these expletives and other forms of vulgar language from our vocabulary. Let's inform the TV and movie producers that we are repulsed by it and maybe do something to communicate our disapproval (like not watching these kind of shows).

We don't have to lower our standards and values just to try to please others; or think that only by speaking like others do, we will be accepted. We have to make a stand and protect our convictions and never feel bad to be who we are. Stay strong...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home