Karol Speaks Up

Welcome to my special internet place, where I like to express myself and talk about my opinions and feelings. ACCEPT ME... for what I am. No... you need not agree with me; but Accept Me. For I am total in being. I have my faults, I have my guilts; but that is who I am. Perfect I will never be. Allow me to be uninhibited. Do not pressure me into feeling what I do not feel. Do not put me down... nor make me unhappy about me. I am I. And I like being what I am... ME. (Larry Chengges)

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Life is Good...

In my previous entry (back in July) I mentioned how I was dealing with a few health issues. This past Summer I had a lot of back problems and other inconvenient health challenges; part due to overexertion, no doubt. I think we all at times think we're "supermen" or "superwomen" and do a little too much. In this day an age of "busyness" and "multitasking" is like we are trying to keep up with everyone else even when our bodies are telling us to slow down (I try to keep up with my daughters and my teenage students). Also part due to hormonal problems, I'm sure. The good news is that I'm feeling great now!

I had canceled my third Epidural Steroid Shot scheduled for September 15, because I was still in a lot of pain; and the doctor said that if the first two shots don't work (and they didn't) there's no reason to have a third. I was disappointed that I was still in so much pain. Then, school started and I got very busy again, and excited too (since I love teaching and love my job!) Little by little I felt like a different person (a new person). Maybe the shots helped somewhat after all; but also, after reading so many books on the importance of paying attention to our feelings and not allowing stress to affect us so much - I believe something good came out of all that research. I put into practice some of the best advice.

One thing I decided is: "I don't want to live with this pain anymore! I love life, I love my family, I love my work and I don't deserve this... so pain begone!" I stopped taking the pain medicines prescribed by my doctors (I only take Aleve once in a while) and started taking Platinum Essential Amino Acids Plus with MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) which is a natural source of sulfur and an anti-inflammatory supplement used for osteoarthritis, as well as Vitamin D3. And I also eliminated coffee (I only indulge myself drinking some decaf once in a while). Some studies have proven that caffeinated coffee increases osteoarthritis pain. So, whatever did the trick thank God it's working; even my feet are a lot better! I used to have a lot of foot pain (especially after the grueling walks we took in Spain in 2008). As long as I'm using my good Easy Spirit Sneakers I'm fine, and can walk a lot. Alleluia!

Another thing that always helps, of course, is to maintain a positive attitude. To know that what we're going through is temporary and THIS TOO SHALL PASS. We cannot dwell on the pain, the sickness, the past, the grief, negative feelings, etc. Even if we have to deal with some very hard challenges, we must keep a positive attitude NO MATTER WHAT, and enthusiasm and passion towards life!

I suggest the following sites: http://www.adifferentkindofdoctor.blogspot.com/ written by Dr. Sarah Cimperman. Dr. Cimperman is a Naturopathic Doctor and gives great advice. There's a great article written by her in the Wisdom Magazine of Nov/Dec 2010 about "Forest Therapy." It basically emphasizes the importance of communing with nature, taking a walk in the forest. Studies have documented reduced stress, lower blood sugar, better concentration, diminished pain, improved immunity and improved mental and physical health in general. Japanese call this popular practice "shinrin-yoku" which translates to "forest bathing." We need NATURE... it's been proven. Check: http://wisdom-magazine.com/ and http://wisdom-magazine.com/Article.aspx/1923/ to read the article.

We must learn to be more aware of our limitations; but remain optimistic and happy. And when challenges come, we must be strong but NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP! Check www.YouTube.com for some inspiration, search the Internet or read a great book! I just ordered the book: "Excuses Begone!" by Dr. Wayne Dyer (since I saw his program in the Public Television Station, and was impressed with his positive messages) - you can watch the program with the same name ("Excuses Begone!) in YouTube as well.

All the best!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home